Friday, September 4, 2009

EDGEMUKATION MIX SERIES VOLUME 7!!!

It's been a long time.

What can I say? Summer is fun-time and Sharps and I have taken full advantage of this fact. Sharps supposedly got married but I'm still skeptical, and apparently I was able to bamboozle my way into getting a weekly here in the city.

Anyways, enough of that, on to the music!

May I present to you, INDIE 2! Let's just start off by saying that the name means nothing. Seriously. I'm just too lazy to think of anything better but if you read the post on volume 6, you'll see that I can't bring myself to appropriately name this type of music anyways.

So for this mix, I wanted to freshen things up to follow up on the first indie mix, mostly because there's actually a bit of depth in my mind when it comes to this style of music and so I wanted to show a greater range this time, especially in terms of the mood.

Enough talk, here's the mix, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it!

DJ Service - INDIE 2!

Tracklisting/Notes:

Appaloosa - The Day (We Fell In Love)
This is pure 80's style right here. I wanted to start off the mix differently than less time and I feel like this is a good indication of the style in this mix. Sometimes, I'm secretly a sucker for love songs.

Telepathe - Chromes On It (The Shoes Remix)
This was originally going to be the opening track but I decided against it. Still a great track, especially the build up. The Shoes are really cool, and they really seem to be doing things in the right way.

The Ting Tings - Shut Up & Let Me Go
I wanted to make an effort to put more known stuff on this mix as opposed to last time so this is my little section of hits.

MGMT - Electric Feel
See above. Also, this is a much more interesting track to Kids, at least I think so.

Phoenix - Lisztomania (Classixx Remix)
I'm a bit late on Phoenix but at least I finally came around. If you don't know, get on it.

Passion Pit - Sleepyhead (The Knocks Remix)
It's all about those vocals. That damn falsetto wins again!

Hail Social - One U Love (Kilroy Mix)
I really like Hail Social's stuff. It's just good clean fun!!!

Metric - Help I'm Alive (The Twelves Remix)
The Twelves are another group really doing it right. Keep a look out for them because I think they're going to blow up.

Passion Pit - The Reeling (Sammy Bananas Remix)
Again with the falsetto. I've made known my appreciation of Sammy Bananas. Nothing has changed!

Futurecop - Tonight's Hero
Is this like post-disco or something? I don't know but its awesome. This track is epic on it's own but I really like how the long mix with the previous track turned out.

Heartsrevolution - Ultraviolence
Those synths are crazy!! Dude who's yelling actually works too!

Roy Davis Jr. - I Have A Vision (Fred Falke Remix)
This is basically a house track but I felt it fit in well here.

La Roux - In For The Kill (Lifelike Remix)
La Roux released her album a little while back and no disrespect to her but the remixes of her stuff are way better than the originals!

The Glass - Wanna Be Dancin'
I like this track because it's the perfect blend of upbeat and chill. It also marks the point where I wanted to chill out the mix a bit to go in the opposite direction that the first mix went.

Pnau - With You Forever
Again with that damn falsetto! Oh, how you get me everytime!!!

Cut Copy - Far Away (Golden Filter Remix)
Can Cut Copy do no wrong? No.

Rubies - Stand In A Line
So chill but that bass is so nice as well. The pic sleeve on this 12'' is also quite nice.

Memory Cassette - Surfin'
I like the structure of this track. There's basically no intro, straight into the vocals, and then a 2 minute instrumental section to end it off. Another great chill track.

Jesse Rose - Day Is Done (Hot Chip Remix)
Ok, Jesse Rose is not exactly who you would think of for this mix but Hot Chip adds the requisite amount of style to make it fit nicely into the end of this mix. Hot Chip continues to rule. The 12'' I have (it's the b-side) has a big scratch right before the vocals begin so the mix is a little incomplete but I figure it's more natural this way anyways. :)

DJ Service - INDIE 2!

No comments: