Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Blasts From The Past! III (REGGAE EDITION) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blasts From The Past! III (Reggae Edition)

We're in the midst of winter where I am and every year when its like this, i make an effort to listen to as much "sunny" music as possible. Well this new edgemukation mix is my sunny gift to you in this cold cold weather!

This mix has actually been a long time in the making. I'm more on the hiphop side of things in terms of djing but as ive collected music and grown as a dj, this mix has been a goal of mine and im happy to have completed it!

This is actually the third volume in this sample subseries and I really like it, mostly cuz I love reggae and dancehall. One aspect ive always loved about reggae is that it almost all comes from this tiny island in the Caribbean and while its certainly been influenced by the rest of the worlds music, to a large extent, its stayed mostly true to its roots, at least in my opinion. Ive also always liked how much reggae and dancehall references and samples other styles.

As far as the hiphop side of this mix, if you know your hiphop history at all, you should know that hiphop basically owes a huge part of its birth to reggae and Jamaica so it’s easy to see how hiphop uses so many reggae samples.

I don’t know about you but I really like these styles of mixes but that’s probably cuz im a huge music nerd and my only hope is that you are one too!

Enjoy!

DJ Service - Blasts From The Past! III (Reggae Edition) (Divshare), (Mediafire, easier dl but no preview)

tracklisting/track notes

cannibal & the headhunters/ini kamoze – land of 1000 dances/here comes the hotstepper

classssssssssic!

max romeo/jayz – chase the devil/lucifer

max romeo is classic reggae. lucifer is a classic kanye beat. I only played like 5 secs of the max romeo track but the whole track is nice. Its also been sampled by the prodigy for a classic rave track. Oh the nerdery!

delfonics/johnnie osbourne/fugees – ready or not

I like how this lil trifecta turned out. Technically the fugees sampled the delfonics (and enya) but johnnie osbourne did his cover in the 70s and its nice as well.

the techniques/major lazer – you don’t care/cant stop now

mm mm mm major lazer er er er! Both of these tracks are pretty amazing. Oh and major lazer = album of the year. No joke.

dawn penn/alicia keys – you don’t love me/no one

No no noooooooo! Another classic reggae track. The verse by damian marley on the remix of no one is super nice too, although I do prefer the other reggae remix (f/ junior reid) of no one. This remix also samples another classic reggae track but I thought it fit more nicely with the dawn penn original.

alton ellis/sean paul & sasha – im still in love with you

Excellence all around! Its rare that a cover lives up to the original and a sean paul cover to boot! I just hope all those 14 year old girls eventually find out that theres an original version to the sean paul track. But regardless of what you may think of him, sean paul kills it on this.

sister nancy/lauryn hill – bam bam/lost ones

This is more of an interpolation than a straight sample but I say it still applies (and really, what I say goes, you know?). The thing I love about bam bam is that regardless of the venue or the crowd that youre playing at, you can drop this track and it will work. I don’t care if youre at a dubstep rave trance fest, you drop sister nancy and watch as some dude with dreads walks up to you to give you a pound.

junior reid/the game – one blood/its okay

junior reid is one of those classic artists who you can recognize after hearing like 3 secs of his music. I especially like his lil adlibs, almost as distinctive as barrington levy. Oh and that dre beat is bananananananananas! If you know me at all, you know ive got a serious affinity to all things west coast and even though im not into street rap and im very far from a gangsta, the game is my man!

zap pow/collie buddz – last war/come around

zap! pow! One thing about me is that im terrible at catching the words in a song. Even in plain English. Needless to say, reggae is basically a foreign language to me sometimes. Case in point: for a long time I thought collie buddz was saying “finally the earths come around!” and I was like “wow, what a socially conscious reggae track”. Yup.

ini kamoze/damian marley – world-a-music/welcome to jamrock

I wont front, every dj and their moms has done this mix before I have. But really, its such a nice buildup that I don’t regret the mix any time I do it. Its almost like if you are gonna play welcome to jamrock and you don’t start with world-a-music, youll get some saltiness directed your way. Just sayin

tenor saw/mr. vegas – pumpkin belly/lean wit it

I love the bassline on pumpkin belly. So ahead of its time. And by the way, mr. vegas rules. Seriously dude is best.

tenor saw/fu schnickens – ring the alarm

classic reggae and classic old school underground! I love the fast rapping too!

Judy mowatt/the supremes – stop in the name of love

This is the only mix that’s backwards, outta necessity really. But seriously, reggae versions of almost any track always works and I aint mad at that.

michael Jackson/shinehead – billie jean

Its safe to say that this is one of the most well known known reggae covers and I felt it fit to end the mix with this. I love the good bad and ugly whistling at the beginning too! Really, every track should have good bad and ugly whistling at the beginning.

No comments: